Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Thankful Thursday - People



"History isn’t about dates and places and wars. It’s about the people who fill the spaces between them.”  Jodi Picoult

I had a history teacher in grade 5 who taught me to see the people behind the events.  

She asked me do a project on Thomas Edison. "Don't just write about what he invented," she said. "Get into his head, and  into his skin. Feel his passion. Get hold of his dreams. Know about what motivated him, and the people who cheered him on, and those who didn't."

That project helped me see beyond the surface to the human being - a man who refused to give up on his goal; a man who tried and failed and tried again. 

That learning stayed with me. Today, I love love love history because I know it's all about people's dreams, passions, greed, frustrations, losses and loves. The basic human experience!

We're heading out on a road trip to explore one of the most historical places in the states - Massachusetts.  It's a first for us. Never been before. Looks like it's gonna be another awesome adventure.

Happy Thursday, guys.

4 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

I too had an amazing History teacher, I loved the subject.
Your trip does sound a brilliant adventure ... enjoy it.
Safe travels

All the best Jan

DUTA said...

Massachausets sounds an interesting encounter with History. Have a wonderful trip!

Lux G. said...

That's one damn good teacher. I remember mine just wanting us to memorize the dates and places. Bored me.

Happy 4th in advance!

Connie said...

I hope you have a great time! With history, there is always something to be learned.