Thursday, July 13, 2017

Thankful Thursday - Nature.





“As long as this exists, this sunshine and this cloudless sky, and as long as I can enjoy it, how can I be sad?” Anne Frank

I climbed up the steep stairs to the annex where Anne Frank hid from the Nazis. I felt chills run through me. 

It was haunting being there, knowing eight Jewish families had lived in hiding holding onto hope that they'd make it out alive. The area was small, tight, dark. 

I wandered into the tiny room where Anne slept and looked out the small window. Still there strong and proud - the chestnut tree she saw. The sight of that tree against the sky and the birds flying by gave Anne strength, courage and hope. 

In February 1944 Anne wrote, "The two of us looked out at the blue sky, the bare chestnut tree glistening with dew, the seagulls and other birds glinting with silver as they swooped through the air, and we were so moved and entranced that we couldn’t speak."

And in May 1944, “Our chestnut tree is in full bloom. It’s covered with leaves and is even more beautiful than last year.”

I get what Anne felt because in nature I feel strong, free and full of hope.  Nature gives me hope even in the worst situations.

I'm incredibly grateful for nature's sights, sounds and smells. I go to the woods nearly every day and always come home happy, and incredibly peaceful. 


Happy Thursday, Guys. 

5 comments:

DUTA said...

Another of Anne Frank's often published quote: " The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely, or unhappy is to go outside,somewhere where they
can be quite alone with the heavens, nature,and God'.
So true!
I've also been at Anne Frank's place in Amsterdam (many years ago). When a place becomes a touristic attraction, I'm afraid something gets lost on the way. Still, we should never stop visiting this place!

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Wow you actually saw the window she was talking about. I read her book when in school. Yes nature helps in all situations of life, I think. Anne sure left some inspiring words in her short life

Connie said...

It must have been quite moving to be in the room where she stayed. Nature always gives me hope too. It gives me a feeling of renewal and serenity.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Yes, her Chestnut tree. Her symbol of hope and of being free. Recently, there had been a lot of talk about cutting it down. I don't know what happened, I should Google it. I think the tree needs to live, sort of as part of her legacy.

Lowcarb team member said...

It must have been very moving to actually be in the room where Anne Frank stayed.

Nature can and does provide us with so much hope.

All the best Jan