Thursday, February 16, 2017

Thankful Thursday - Being YOU!




The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can. Neil Gaiman
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/voice.html


 "The one thing you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can." Neil Gaiman. 

I used to compare myself to others, wanting to be like them, or have the talent or ability they had. I even  wished my life was like theirs with all the things they seemed to have going for them.  

But not anymore. I'm happy being me because now I realize we are all originals. All of us are different. All of us are special. All of us stand out in our own way. And all of us bring something unique to the dance of life.

It's like how I see my kids. They are incredibly different but neither is better than the other. I love them equally for who they are and for what they each bring to this dance. 

My youngest has a wicked sense of humour. She's intense, stubborn, and knows her own mind. She's a kid who stands her ground and fights for what she wants. She's a leader, a kid who gets the group to follow her. She takes charge easily, organizes events and laughs from her belly up. 

My oldest is a thinker, a tree hugger, a girl who wears kindness and gentleness as part of her daily make-up. She's a peace-maker, the one to compromise. And she has this amazing knack to turn pieces of nothing into pieces of art. She's a writer, a word lover, an internal optimist. 

I'm grateful today for the differences we all have. It's what makes life interesting and fun.

Have a great Thursday, Guys.

5 comments:

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Nikki, it took me a long time to like myself. I am about to share something very personal but you and I have been friends for a while now and I want you to know you're not alone.
I loved my parents but they were not very good at being there for me; especially my mother. I grew up believing I had no rights and everybody was better than me. Mom and Daddy didn't mean to bring me up that way. That's just the way they were. And please don't misunderstand me. God placed me into that family for reasons I'm still not aware of. But now I can say Thank you. God doesn't make mistakes. It wasn't until I found the Lord that I realized I was a somebody and He loved me enough to die for me. That knowledge changed me forever. I believe I'm a better person because of my upbringing. It taught me many lessons that I would never have learned otherwise. We each have a story and as long as we're here, we do the best we can to glorify Him with our lives. He is worthy of that and so much more.

Hugs,
Sandi

Connie said...

Another reason not to want to be like someone else is that we only see a small part of their life. We may not be aware of the troubles and struggles they face. Some days I'm quite sure I'd rather deal with my own problems than with the problems so many others must handle.

DUTA said...

Each of us is indeed a unique specimen whose character is made up of inherited traits, acquired traits, and some traits given by God at birth as a gift, I believe. Over the years we do our best to create a good balance among these (sometimes conflicting/ confusing) traits of character. Sometimes we're successful , sometimes not. That's life , and as you say, I should be happy as Me.














Lowcarb team member said...

We are all individual ... life would be boring if we were all the same.
It's part of life's rich pattern as we all have to learn to inter-weave!

I hope you have had a good weekend, may the coming new week bring good things for you and yours.

All the best Jan

Launna said...

Nikki, I know where you are coming from, it took me years to get to the point of loving myself and liking who I have become, I honestly wouldn't trade it... xox

My two daughters are the complete opposite too but of course, I love the both of them... my oldest is strong willed, goes after exactly what she wants... very loving, though... my youngest is softer, not a leader, I hope she grows into that... she's kind and thoughtful. It's pretty amazing to see how different they can be xox