Thursday, January 21, 2016

Thankful Thursday - Love


"The honorary duty of a human being is to love." Maya Angelou.

Loving someone isn’t always easy. Sometimes it's incredibly  hard...especially if that someone has hurt me or has done something that's left me scratching my head because of their hard stance. But I know I'm called to love my enemies, which, for me, can sometimes be like climbing mount Everest. 

Thoughts of revenge pepper my mind more than loving the person who hurt or betrayed me. 'I hope they get what they give out. I hope something bad happens to them….to teach them. That's it...to teach them a lesson.' No love in that. But it's where my mind goes. 

And then time happens and I start to think that I don't really wish them anything bad. Payback. It's not where I want my life to go. The thing is, Love changed me. Love made the difference. I want to live kind no matter what. I've learned that there's a process that needs to happen before I always end up in a softening place of choosing to forgive, choosing to love and choosing to be kind. 

Happy Thursday, Guys.
  

7 comments:

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

That's a hard one! When the fruit of the Spirit is operating in our lives then it is easier to just let go and let God. We are called to love our enemies just as He did. It is not easy but in the end, it is all about glorifying Him. If that is what we covet most of all, to honour and glorify Him, then we will accomplish that very thing. His Love makes it possible. Great post, Nikki! Lots of food for thought. Have a lovely day, my friend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Lowcarb team member said...

What a lovely quote "The honorary duty of a human being is to love." Maya Angelou.

Love can be such a special thing ... for some reason this post reminded me of a Matt Munro song Love is a Many Splendid thing ... it's on You Tube!

Have a Happy Thursday and a good weekend too.

All the best Jan

Connie said...

"I want to live kind no matter what." What a wonderful line that is and an ideal philosophy to live by too.

Denise said...

bless you my friend.

Launna said...

Nikki. ... it's not always easy to love people who hurt you but like you I've learned through time that I really don't wish anything bad... that's where forgiveness comes in.. which is a form of love. Excellent post xox ♡

Lux G. said...

Oh, it can get complicated and messy. But I'm sure in the end everything will make sense.

Sharon said...

Just last week, I had a very difficult conversation with someone. She accused my siblings and I of all sorts of untruths as it pertains to caring for our mother. I did not like being falsely represented. This person has a lot of personal *baggage* - and has a way of looking at life through some unhealthy perspectives. So I understand the way her mind works. But, it is hard in those kinds of situations to remain cool.

I am glad that the Lord was with me in the conversation, and that I didn't lose my head and say things that I wanted to say, but not really - you know?!

It is in those seeds of resentment that the enemy can grow a field of bitterness. And that can become a weed-full crop of hurt, choking out the growth that the Holy Spirit wants to accomplish.

I'm with you, that is NOT where I want my life to go!!

And when we pray about these matters, God is faithful to soften our hearts.

GOD BLESS!