Thursday, December 18, 2014

Thankful Thursday - Helping

“Sometimes, reaching out and taking someone's hand is the beginning of a journey. At other times, it is allowing another to take yours.” Vera Nazarian 

I've been helping a friend, an older woman, someone whose been a mentor. She once opened a door, gave me an opportunity to take a stand and share my truth.  

Now the tables have turned. She needs my help, someone to listen, to let her talk, to cry it out. Someone hurt her, hurt her really bad. I'm happy to be there for her, grateful I can repay her kindness. And something interesting has happened - a stronger bond has formed between us. We're becoming tight. 

Life's like that. Sometimes someone helps you out and then it's your turn to give back to them. I think it's what Mafasa in the Lion King would say, it's the circle of life. Grateful for......

-2014. The year's been amazing. Many neat things that have happened this year. Too many to list. 
-Booked to share my story to women living at a halfway house in January. Another opportunity to give back. To know someone's smiling b/c of me, makes me feel ten feet tall. 
-Countdown to celebrating Christmas in a different way than we're used to - warm temps, no snow and cold. Totally excited.  
-Faith. It's made such a huge impact in my life. It totally changed  the way I think and how I move in the world. It's the filter through how I see things, a huge difference than the filter I used to look through. It's what I'm most grateful for. 

Happy Thursday, Guys.


7 comments:

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

What a blessing to be able to give back! It really does make one feel ten feet tall. {And I could use some extra inches! ;)} I have been blessed this past year reading your posts. They have been wonderfully inspirational and filled with wisdom. Enjoy your holiday and Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas, to you and your loved ones, Nikki!

Hugs from PEI,
Sandi

Connie said...

It's amazing, isn't it, how much it benefits us when we help someone else! Lovely post, Nikki. Wishing you a wonderful Christmas.

Sharon said...

I kept thinking of how Jesus said that it is better to give than receive. It truly is a blessing to be able to help someone else.

I'm helping take care of my aging mom now. A couple of weeks ago, she was crying over her increasing helplessness. She told me she didn't want to be a burden. It was so good to tell her that in some ways it was my "turn" now - my chance to return all the days when she took care of me. I told her it was a privilege and a blessing - a blessing for both of us - and that we should allow a "new" phase of our relationship to evolve and flourish.

Helping is hard sometimes, but it's what can bind two hearts together even tighter.

GOD BLESS!

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful.

Linda said...

A wonderful blessing.

Launna said...

Nikki... I think it is wonderful that you were able to give back to your friend that gave to you..Have a very happy Friday and a Merry Christmas xox

Connie Arnold said...

Helping others is a beautiful way to show that faith that makes such a difference in life. Wishing you abundant joy, blessings and a beautiful Christmas!