Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Slice of Life

“An ordinary life examined closely reveals itself to be exquisite and complicated and exceptional somehow managing to be both heroic and plain.” 
Susan Orlean

 

Real People by Nikki


Real people.
Real life.
Real stories.
Once nameless, faceless people in the community.
They openly shared their story with a stranger,
The good, the bad, the defeats, the miracles
Years that passed worrying, wondering, hoping, not knowing.
Then life coming together.
Affirming what they believed, what they dreamt, what they desired.
Lesson learned that life gives back in time
Again and again and again. 

Watching their faces
Listening to their stories,
I saw a stranger becoming real
Their hopes and joys and dreams
Their challenges and heartache and setbacks
Merging with faith and humanness
Just like me. Just like you.
A bond formed by the stories they shared.
Real people.
Real life.
Real stories.

 It's out. The book, A slice of Life is a collection of short stories of twenty-six older adults living in Burlington, Ontario. They are stories of overcoming hardships, refusing to give up, finding romance and realizing dreams. All of them full of hope.

All proceeds from the sale of this book will go to Family Council Network 4 Advocacy Committee to help them continue to push for policies that ensure dignity and high quality care for those living in long-term-care homes. 
 
I have loved working on this book and meeting so many incredible people.  I got another grant. Now onto the next one.

7 comments:

Nana Jul said...

Whoohoo!!! I can't wait to read it!
Congratulations Nikki!

Launna said...

Congratulations Nikki, I am so thrilled for you. The world certainly needs more uplifting books, I can imagine how wonderful yours is, I always find your blog uplifting xox

I have missed your updates, I took of writing for so long, pain can do that to you... then part of me wondered if I would be able to write again... maybe I would sit in front of the screen and be frozen... I finally took the plunge and it was just as easy as it always was... it felt good.

Have a lovely and inspiring week xox

DUTA said...

Congratulations on your book, and on receiving a new grant! Good Luck!

Connie said...

Everyone is human and everyone has a story to share. Your book sounds wonderful! Congratulations on it and on getting another grant!

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Congrats! on the new book. You are so talented. Yes everyone has a story. Great for the grant

Lowcarb team member said...

Where was I when you posted this?
Any way, I've read it now and just want to pass on my congratulations and to say well done!

Hope you are well, my good wishes.

All the best Jan

ab harry said...

wow nice i really need this